Built in 1944, former T.A.A. DC-3 VH-CAO has spent almost half its life on the ground, covering more miles by road – in the past thirty-five years – than it has by air.
It arrived this evening at the Caboolture Warplane & Flight Heritage Museum after a four day inland road trip via Charters Towers and Duaringa. A deetrmined survivor, VH-CAO is now owned by David Kingshott of Complete Aircraft Care who plans an airworthy restoration for the C-47A.
After retirement from service in 1979 it was sold tothe Chewing Gum Field Aircraft Museum at Tallebudgera, Queensland. After that folded it went to Drages Airworld at Wangaratta, Victoria, and went turtle in 2002 it was roaded to its most recent address – in Mareeba.
Things can only get better from here!